A HOUSE ON THE BEACH ROAD, BLACK ROCK
Built in 1954 on a 50-feet wide corner with no attractive outlook, the house is planned for self -contained views. It occupies almost the entire allotment, the roof beams virtually spanning the full width between brick walls built on the long side boundaries. The roof covers about half of this area and the remainder, shaded by the pergola of beams and louvres, is a private garden paved with slate and set with plating strips, some tiled section and a pond. Every room overlooks this private garden through a diving wall consisting of a single fixed pane of plate glass. Ventilation, and doors from rooms to the garden, are on the side “return” walls. Slab floor covered with C.S.R. asphalt tiles throughout. External walls brick; internal timber with Karri and hardwood lining. Ceiling in hardwood.